There are several jobs titled "The Biggest Project/Program Management Job in the World"
- Admiral Craig Steidle - Associate Administrator, Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. Joint Strike Fighter Program Manager. The Exploration Mission Directorate Program Management Handbook is a "bible" for large technical integration efforts.
- Skip Hatfield - Orion Program Manager. Attending the win party for Orion, my wife asked "who's that guy in the NASA Polo shirt?" "He's the Program Manager for $7B worth of design and development work." "Oh, he looks like an engineering geek." "He is, but he's still the Program Manager for $7B worth of work and our customer."
- Cleon Lacefield - Program Manager, Orion, Lockheed Martin. I worked for Cleon (one level removed) on the Orion proposal. Awesome Program Manager, with full understanding of the technology and mastery of the people doing the work.
- Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site had several Program Managers. Nancy Tuor was the last. The concept of closing a nuclear weapons plant on time, on budget was unheard of. Kaiser-Hill did it ahead of schedule and under budget. I payed a minor role as one of many program managers.
These type of Program Managers are typical in the space and defense business. But I came across a person:
- Paul Ritche - Head Global Project Management Operations at SAP. I don't know Paul, but I know that managing SAP projects is tough and not for the faint of heart. Paul's also a PMP.
Paul is the type of project manager we need to model in the enterprise domain.