The new DoD 5000.02 (2 Dec 2008) procurement guide has updated the acquisition process from Spiral to Evolutionary. The previous guidance (May 2003) stated:
- Incremental development: end-state is known; requirements met over time in several increments.
- Spiral development: end-state is not known; requirements for increments dependent upon technology maturation and user feedback
The current (5000.02) states:
- Capability delivered in increments, recognizing up front need for future capability improvements
- Each increment:
- Depends on mature technology
- Is useful and supportable operationally
- Successive Technology Development Phases, may be needed to mature technology for multiple increments.
If US DoD can figure this out, why can't Enterprise IT?