The management of projects involves many moving parts. Here's an overview of those parts and their connections.
- Risk - management of risk is how "adults" manage projects.
- Cost - the cost spreads for each "lump of work" defines how resources are allocated, how these costs consumed, and how these costs must be funded by the project's sponsor.
- Statement of Work - this is where the project starts. The SOW states what DONE looks like in terms meaningful to the buyer.
- Technical Performance Measure - measures of effectiveness and measures of performance for the deliverables.
- Work Breakdown Structure - a hierarchical decomposition of a product and the process that build that product.
- IMP/IMS - the Integrated Master Plan and Integrated Master Schedule are descriptions of the Program Events (measures of maturity), Accomplishments (work that must accomplished to move the product to a defined maturity), and Criteria (the measures of completion for the Work Packages that perform the work).