I've spoken about this before. There are 5 Immutable Principles of successful project management. No matter what method used to manage the project, develop the product, or what ever technique you want to use for getting to the end, these principles must be in place.
- What Does Done Look Like? What capabilities are needed to fullfill the stakeholders business needs.
- How do we get there? We need a Plan and a Schedule. The Plan is the strategy for the success of the project. The Schedule is the sequence of work needed to implement the Plan. Both are needed.
- Do we have enough of everything to get there? This means a resource loaded Schedule, with labor and Other Direct Costs (ODCs)
- What impediments will be encountered along the way? Risk Management is how adults manage projects.
- How do we know we're making progress to plan? Earned Value.