You cannot manage what you cannot measure... and what gets measured gets done
- Bill Hewlett, Hewlett Packard
Without a performance measurement system, you'll not be able to tell if your project is actually performing to plan. Without a plan that defines the performance measurement goals, you'll not be able to tell is your performing to plan. Both the plan and the measures are needed.
So What Does A Plan Look Like With Performance Measures?
- It is deliverables based
- Each deliverable has a cost and schedule target
- Each deliverable has a technical performance measure target
- There are mechanisms to measure cost, schedule, and technical performance on periodic bounds.
- These bounds are short enough to determine the project is not performing as planned and short enough to take corrective actions to get the project back in schedule, cost, and technical performance.
And What Is A Good Paradigm For Measuring These Things?