If you're going to have any hope what so ever of being successful with your project, here is some advice. Only with this integration can you know the answers to the 5 Immutable principles of project management.
- What does DONE look like? - define the needed capabilities in Measures of Effectiveness and Measures of Performance in units meaningful to the decision makers.
- How are you going to get to DONE? - construct a plan showing how you are going to assess the increasing maturity of the deliverables and a schedule showing the order of the work needed to produce these deliverables, and the measures of Technical Performance needed to assure these deliverables meet the needs of the customer.
- What Resources are you going to need along the way? - resource load the Integrated Master Schedule - or what ever artifact you are using to show the path to completion.Show the profile (demand and capacity) for each resource.
- What Impediments will you encounter along the way? - without a risk management plan and a risk management process to support the plan, showing how you are going to handle each risk, you're going to be late, over budget, and your gadget probably isn't going to work.
- How are you measuring progress to plan? - this measure needs to be in units of physical percent complete. This measure needs to be adjusted for compliance with the Techncial Performance Measures, and this measure must be probabilistically risk adjusted for the variances in performance.
This text in the picture is taken from the new Integrated Program Management Report (IPMR), DI-MGMT-81861.